“Everyone, and I mean everyone should take this course. It’s great fun, very cathartic and gives you a sense of belonging whilst renewing your appreciation for nature” Harry
We offer full time and part time courses in rural skills which aim to cover all the main aspects of the traditional linear boundary and woodland management using hand tools. These courses are aimed at people wishing to learn about rural skills and environmental conservation; and for those considering working in, or developing a business in a land based industry. We are particularly interested in supporting local people wishing to live and work in their own community; and 16-24 year old NEETS. These are hands on practical courses and are run at Butterdon Wood, near Moretonhampstead.
Duration: either Full Time (4 days a week over 6 weeks – Tuesday to Friday;) or part time 2 days a week for 12 weeks (Wednesday & Thursday)
Suitable for: anyone – we are particularly interested in working with people with additional needs.
Enrolment: Please talk to your Job Centre Advisor.
- Course Content
- Health and safety/ Risk assessments. PPE and responsibilities.
- Tool use and maintenance.
- Woodland management – Conservation, coppicing and other techniques.
- Hedge Laying (Winter)
- Stone Walling (Summer)
- Hurdle making – Traditional methods and techniques.
- Greenwood working – Using un-seasoned wood for a variety of projects.
- Charcoal making
- Waterway management – Conservation and restoration.
- Bodgers day – Creative day at base camp.
- Contingency activities (poor weather etc): Environmental art, bush craft.