RURAL SKILLS COURSES
“Everyone, and I mean everyone should take this course. It’s great fun, very cathartic and gives you a sense of belonging whilst renewing your appreciation for nature” Harry Bonner
We offer 6 week block courses (4 days per week – Tuesday to Friday) in rural skills which aim to cover all the main aspects of the traditional hedge and woodland management using hand tools. These courses are aimed at people wishing to learn about rural skills and environmental conservation; and for those considering working in, or developing a business in a land based industry. We are particularly interested in supporting local people wishing to live and work in their own community; and 16-24 year old NEETS. These are hands on practical courses and are run at Great Plantation, near Dunsford, Exeter.
The 359 Country Bus Exeter to Mortenhampstead stops at Two crosses and its a short walk from there. There is only very limited parking so we ask students who intend to come in a vehicle to find a safe place to park elsewhere and walk in. Please contact us if you have concerns about this.
“Well done! I really enjoyed the course and learnt an incredible amount in only 6 weeks.”
OUR NEXT COURSE START DATES FOR 2013
19th November (5 weeks)
7th January 2014 – only 2 places available so early booking essential
- Health and safety/ Risk assessments. PPE and responsibilities.
- Tool use and maintenance.
- Woodland management – Conservation, coppicing and other techniques.
- Hedge Laying (Winter)
- Stone Walling (Summer)
- Hurdle making – Traditional methods and techniques.
- Greenwood working – Using un-seasoned wood for a variety of projects.
- Charcoal making
- Waterway management – Conservation and restoration.
- Bodgers day – Creative day at base camp.
- Contingency activities (poor weather etc): Environmental art, bush craft.
You can download an application here: RDCIC Running Deer Rural Skills Course Enrolement formWEB
These courses are FREE to those who are unemployed or facing severe financial hardship. For those who are not unemployed or facing severe financial hardship we are offering these courses at a subsidised rate of £350 per person. Please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.